Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Horror Stories!  (Read 8594 times)
Erika
AppleSource Buddy

Karmic Presence: 42

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

I got to thinking.... About throwing a stapler at my computer. OKAY no not really. But what ARE some of your most frustrating Windows moments? Let me think about this and get back to .. me. (I made the topic!) I've got more than a couple to submit...  :S
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:34:31 AM by Perry » Logged

Smiley Erika
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »

Haha, this is a BRILLIANT idea, Erika. I can't wait to hear what everybody's got to say... I could write a novel, seriously... Perhaps I'll just wait and think of the absolute WORST one ever. God, that'll be hard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:34:39 AM by Perry » Logged
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 03:14:11 PM »

Alright, I've considered it a little.

I think my number one WINDOWS HORROR MOMENT was when I received the Blue Screen of Death 17 times in one day.

I seriously thought my box was going to blow up.

Then it would be like, WINDOWS GO BOOM!

BLAM.

ASPLODE.

Yeah, not good.

Thankfully, I got my iBook G4, affectionately dubbed Booky, VERY soon after that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:35:38 AM by Perry » Logged
Kricket
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 03:21:24 PM »

How about the time just before I had to send a budget proposal to my boss Windows decided to delete two .DLL files that my financial application used WHILE I was exporting the data. As a result, not only did the program completely break right in front of my eyes, but ALL of my data was lost. Meanwhile, I got this friendly error message:

"Windows has encountered a random error. This happens from time to time. Please wait."

I had to restart.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 03:22:44 PM »

*cracks up...*

Oh dude, I'm sorry...

I know it was miserable, but that's HILARIOUS...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:36:14 AM by Perry » Logged
Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

Karmic Presence: 190

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 03:27:24 PM »

Okay this is hard... never before has such a topic with so many possibilities been created! Wink

One of my friends decided to save a little money and opt for the BRILLIANT idea of building his own PC. You can just see where this is going.

Of all of the countless, RIDICULOUS and HORRIFYING stories that came out of this venture, I'll share with you one of my all-time favorites:

We were in his office and he was whining about his computer as usual. "Should've got a Mac, man." I must've said it two hundred times.

We're hunched over his computer when all of a sudden his screen completely starts going woogy and multi-colored lines appear over it. Then the Blue Screen of Death comes up, but the text is in ASCII gibberish. This was a NORMAL occurrence, apparently, because my buddy didn't even flinch. I, on the other hand, was QUITE disturbed. And for good reason! Not 10 seconds later, POOF! Smoke from the screen, and the most god-awful smell I've ever experienced. He gasped and lurched up from his chair.

"THAT'S not supposed to happen!"

"Well neither are six BLUE DEATH SCREENS a day!"

We had to evacuate his office for over 30 hours while the smell dissipated and he needed a new monitor and video card. I'm still not sure if this was caused by hardware or software problems, but regardless, it's YET ANOTHER reason to STAY AWAY FROM PCs!

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
We Open Doors, Not Windows
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »

Stay far... far... FAR away.. from Windows machines.

Especially when they start smoking like an old man with emphysema.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:37:06 AM by Perry » Logged
markschribe
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 7

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 05:54:16 PM »

So I was working on a friend's PC when all of a sudden I get what has to be the strangest error message I've ever seen. Trying to delete a file, it said, "Windows cannot remove this file because you have insufficient disk space. Please remove one or more files and try again."

I blinked twice. Tried again. Same result. Tried deleting another file. Same result. Another file. Same result.

I restarted.

Now all the files I wanted to delete but couldn't were gone. I tried deleting another file. Same problem. Restarted. It was gone.

I informed my friend that in order to delete any file you had to restart after deleting it. He looked at me funny.

"Yeah, so?"

"...yeah SO! That isn't NORMAL."

"It's not?"

I couldn't believe my ears. Here this poor fool actually thought it was NORMAL to have to restart after deleting every file.

Now, this isn't a real HORROR story. At least, not yet.

Determined to fix this problem, I went mucking about in the registry, system control panels, Windows settings folders, and any other place I could muck in. I like to muck.

Feeling rather proud of myself, I thought I might have fixed it, and proceeded to restart Windows.

Uh oh... now I got the blue screen of death (oh gasp!) saying, I kid you not, "Windows is attempting to load - system in danger. OADEFCX Boot Flux Error: File I/O structure missing."

What this meant I had NO idea, however I was certain that I hadn't messed things up THIS bad. I restarted. It booted fine. Thank god. Only this time THERE WAS NO RECYCLING BIN. I would hit a file and press delete. "Windows cannot move this file to the Recycling Bin." Now my poor friend is no longer capable of deleting ANY files and will have to reinstall Windows for the third time this year.

What a horror story!

Schribe Says It!
Timo
Big Apple

Karmic Presence: 23

yes yes yes
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 07:40:35 PM »

I guess the horror stories from windows-users are all quite similar...
Crashes, Virusses, dialers, slow system full with garbage in the registry.

Formatting, re-installing, losing the backups (files are broken), this doesn't work as it should, that doesn't work at all,...

A big shout to Steve Jobs Wink
and of course the relating developers !
Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 01:35:44 AM »

I've thought about this and came up with one worth sharing. The night before a huge mid-term I was working on, I was finalizing everything. Yeah I know, I'm a slacker. Well, I went to print the thing and I was absolutely exhausted and ready for bed. Then I got one of the strangest error messages I've ever seen:

"Out of paper on drive D:"

I tried over and over with the same result. Not only does a drive NEED paper, apparently I had ran out! I was so confused and annoyed that I was ready to start shoving pieces of paper into the stupid thing!

Finally I restarted, and to my horror, my mid-term was gone, along with every other file in the My Documents folder.

THANK GOD I had emailed it to myself not 5 minutes before with the annoyed thought of having to print it from campus the next morning.

If I hadn't made that backup I would have been absolutely screwed. Meanwhile, here I am at 2am, tired as all get-out and I have to wake up an hour earlier than usual just so I can get into the lab and print my stupid paper.

All because my D drive ran out of paper...

Smiley Erika
markschribe
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 7

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 01:09:38 PM »

Well okay yeah and I thought MY error message was strange!

Schribe Says It!
Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

Karmic Presence: 190

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 06:08:13 AM »

Phone just rings. My buddy Pete up in Portland to discuss some business. Two seconds into the call. "Wells, I was gonna have a look at this, but blue screen occurred." "Oh no lie?" "Yeah. Sorry man, I'm gonna have to go get my Windows CD and mess with this." "All right, gimme a ring later. I'll be around."

-end of call-

Thank god I'm on a Mac.  :S
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 06:10:06 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
We Open Doors, Not Windows
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Karmic Presence: 37

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 08:14:16 AM »

We have two PCs in the office. The horror is when I have to use one.

Yuck!

Grant Simmons
Owner / Creative Director
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
----------------------------------------
Simmonet Marketing
"Ideas that work, technology that fits"

http://www.simmonet.com
Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 09:49:41 AM »

I can't stand using them anymore, and I used them for years! It's amazing how quickly you get used to how much better the Mac is. LOL

Smiley Erika
macgizmoguy
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »

I try not to be religious or a snob about the Mac. It's just a great tool - and a pleasure to use. But ocassionally I need or want to run Windows on my Mac - and it always turns into a horror story. From SoftPC and VirtualPC back in the old days to Bootcamp to VMware to Parallells, every single install of Windows has gotten hopelessly corrupt, infected, munged EVENTUALLY. It's just a matter of time....

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: