Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: User Stories  (Read 24991 times)
Erika
AppleSource Buddy

Karmic Presence: 42

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:37:39 AM »

I think it'd be fun to post people's stories about how they use TimeNet. I'll start!  Cheesy

I'm a designer and I work for myself out of my house. I always have TimeNet running. I've only got about 30 clients or so but TimeNet lets me easily add them in, edit them, and keep track of all my projects. I cannot BELIEVE how easy it is to use and nice it looks.

I had tried Ibiz and another one, I don't remember the name sorry. I remember being very disappointed with both and thinking maybe I'd have to do all of this by hand the old fashioned way. You know, with a pen and paper and file folders. ANYTHING but that please!

Luckily I found TimeNet. I was about to give up when I saw this mentioned in MacAddict magazine and tried out the demo. Immediately upon opening it, it chimed that there was a new version. Cool! I downloaded the latest one and was freaking BLOWN AWAY!

I use this all day every day, have dozens of projects, use the reporting features, track my miles for meetings, and it makes everything just a snap. I can't believe that software like this exists. WOW!

How do you use TimeNet? What's your job? Have any cool tips to share! Cheesy

Smiley Erika
Kricket
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:55:27 PM »

I'm a web designer for a larger firm that subcontracts projects out to me. For the longest time I've been timing everything by hand (using simple timer programs and then entering everything in manually to create bills).

I got really fed up with this after having to write up a particulary gigantic invoice (over 90 items!). I hit the software websites with low expectations, but anything is better than THIS crap.

I saw iBiz's screenshot and almost wet myself. Then I saw the horrible interfaces of programs like Project Timer and some other silly program that looked like it was written in 10 minutes while extremely under the influence of something not good (or really good, depending on how you look at it).

Then I thought I'd found it. I tried a program called Studiometry. It was $99 (OUCH!) but looked decent. Until I tried it. 10 minutes in and I was practically to tears. Nothing worked. The interface made my head physically throb. Their support was horrible. They mocked their users on the support board.

I was utterly dismayed and figured I'd have to settle for something really awful. Then I found it.

IT was the breath of fresh air I needed after a lonely Thursday night spent sifting through billing programs.

IT was easy to use. IT was fun and fast and interface-friendly. IT was powerful. And IT was love at first sight.

Now I use this thing every day all day and couldn't imagine going back. HOW did I LIVE for so long the way I did? TimeNet does everything automatically for me, and makes really nice invoices. Times everything, makes the bills, even lets me see reports of what Ive done and hit my clients with late fees for the NUMEROUS overdue invoices I've never bothered collecting on. SWEET!

TimeNet saved my business. I'm pretty much sure of that. In a time when things were picking up and I was getting more and more stressed and frustrated with how to take care of my time and bills, there it was.

Thank you TimeNet!
markschribe
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 7

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:04:17 PM »

I'm a nutritionist. So by nature, everything in my office is organic. Wink

That's why I've always gravitated towards the Mac. Its simple elegance sold me immediately. Reading everyone else's stories it looks like you had to put up with some nightmares from other programs! I'd heard about all of that beforehand, and was lucky enough to be given a personal recommendation to TimeNet.

I tried it out and couldn't have been happier! Within 45 minutes, I had entered all of my clients into it, and converted my old billing system over to this new one. I tried making an invoice. WOW this is cool! I modified the information, played around with charge rates, and genuinely had FUN configuring this application. It wasn't a chore at all. No data mysteriously not being saved, no random crashing bugs, no guessing where THIS feature was and what THAT button did.

I trust TimeNet so much that I actually open it up and run the timer right in front of my clients. It's fun for them to see how much they have to pay me while we consult. It also helps me because there's no questions or bickering at the end, which I dealt with A LOT. This shows my rates are set in stone, and the timer is running. Non-negotiable. Works wonderfully!

I have 71 clients in TimeNet and recorded over $60,000 in funds so far. I'm looking forward to creating my tax reports and archiving off my projects for the new year to start again. I didn't have the pleasure of using TimeNet all year this year, and it'll be so much fun to have ALL of that information there next year! Reports, miles, projects, earnings. It's all so great.

I just fire up TimeNet and it's time to rock and roll!

Schribe Says It!
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Karmic Presence: 37

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 04:47:21 PM »

I run a growing marketing company in Encino, a suburb of Los Angeles

I came from a larger agency back ground and when I first started my company in 2001 I was working out of some one else's house with one Blue and White G3 and an Epson scanner & printer. That was it!

Now I have 3 employees (fourth starting Monday) a cool and cosy office, 5 workstations and so much 'gear' to list it would be somewhat laborious. We've gone from 1 client to over 70 and the hardest task is keeping up with the time accounting and billing so that we *make freakin money*. We have a book keeper and the challenge of communicating to him each week where we need to bill is frustrating to say the least!

Tracking anything is a chore, and I've tried almost *everything* out there with varying degrees of success.

I went through and discarded Now Contact, Entourage Project Management, Daylight, Studio Czar, Custom Filemaker solutions, online systems and most recently Studiometry - after $300 :-( I *really* *Really* Really* wanted Studiometry to work - and it does, but the networking is for crap, the network licensing system is for crap and when they say the application is powerful, read "too complex". My staff *liked* Studiometry, but when I asked them to justify continuing with it, no one *loved it*. I never used it. Big strike against Studiometry.

Today, I tried TimeNet. 20 minutes later I ordered a five pack (and Master of all Domains too!)

Perry responded to emails in a flash, and had the kind of boyish enthusiasm (that's a compliment) that is often missing in *any* business. So far so good.

I'm picky and I'm exact, and I'm sure to make constructive suggestions as to how I would want TimeNet to work for *my* business. So far Perry has answered my posts with the same enthusiasm, which is refreshing and encouraging.

When you depend on a piece of software to run your business, you better make sure it works. We've been playing with TimeNet for the past 5 hours and haven't have one 'hiccup'. So far so good. I'm happy and I may have found *the* solution. I'll be a regular on these forums as my business dictates features that may be missing from TimeNet and which I think may be useful for other similar souls :-) I'll also share how I feel after a week of kicking the tires and 'real world' application.

Monday we hit the ground running with 25 or so projects to deliver this week. Wish me luck ;-)

Cheers

Grant

http://www.simmonet.com
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 04:49:45 PM by Simmonet » Logged

Grant Simmons
Owner / Creative Director
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
----------------------------------------
Simmonet Marketing
"Ideas that work, technology that fits"

Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »

Wow, awesome stories you guys. So cool to learn a little bit about all of you!

Grant, I'm especially excited for you. You're going to *LOVE* TimeNet! Let us know what you think, your ideas so far have been terrific! I think we're gonna keep Perry busy for awhile. Wink

Smiley Erika
Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

Karmic Presence: 190

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 02:32:30 AM »

Thanks so much for sharing these stories guys, and special thanks to Erika for starting the cool thread. These were a lot of fun to read.

:read:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 02:35:49 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
We Open Doors, Not Windows
andreakelly
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 5

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 02:40:56 AM »

Fun! So nice to hear everyone's story. I work as a marketing agent for a health food company. I use TimeNet for all of my work. I love how I can attach files to tasks and the timer is the coolest thing ever! I can always see instantly how much money I've made. Cheesy

Like a lot of you guys, I had tried other billing programs desperately and just was not impressed. Too many bugs, not enough features, too many features, way too complicated. It was just a dream when I found TimeNet.

Perry is also exceptionally friendly and open to ideas and quick to fix bugs! I'm SO HAPPY I found TimeNet.

I give many respects to AppleSource. :notworthy:

With love,
Andrea
Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 12:55:09 PM »

Jeez I've only been on here two days and I don't remember what I did with my Saturday nights before BusyBee and the AppleSource boards. Too fun you guys, thanks for making this awesome community! And I'm so glad people replied to my thread. I loved reading them all too Cheesy

Smiley Erika
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 07:07:45 AM »

This is a family? I can only imagine how dysfunctional it'll become now I'm "born"  Wink

Grant Simmons
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
Simmonet Marketing

Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 07:17:26 AM »

Yes this is a family! And you're a welcome addition, don't worry. We're all a bit quirky in our own way. It adds to the diversity and fun of this family.

Cheesy

Smiley Erika
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 01:51:07 AM »

Los Angeles?

Grant Simmons
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
Simmonet Marketing

Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 05:06:56 AM »

There's two people on the map from L.A.

AppleSource Map

Add yourself. Cheesy

Smiley Erika
Sammy
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 12:29:51 PM »

YES. I cannot WAIT until we can get EVERYBODY on that thing.

Can you say MASSIVE?
SandraTKS
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 05:19:46 AM »

Hey this is one of the coolest software forums I've ever seen! Great work guys.

My story is probably a little unique. I work at a non-for-profit organization, so I don't really care how much *MONEY* I make per project, but we are required to document all of our time and keep notes on projects performed so we can continue to receive grant monies.

TimeNet has been a DREAM COME TRUE for us for performing these requirements. It's so easy to use, so flexible, and so fun! Our grant funding increased by 35% after 6 months of using it because we were so efficiently documenting our time spent and not forgetting ANYTHING. I could not be happier with this product and I highly recommend it to anyone thinking about purchasing.

It's the best way to manage your time I've ever seen!  Smiley
Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 06:16:41 AM »

Thank you for the excellent words! I'm thrilled that TimeNet has helped you so much. What a truly cool way to use it. I had never even thought about that. Hmm.. can you say "marketing angle"? Wink

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
madartist6
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 2

madartist6
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 03:26:20 AM »

I am so glad you guys have started this site. I have been looking all over for some type of invoicing software, and because of your comments, it looks like I will save some time and money! I have a full-time job, but I do freelance design on the side. So anything to help me avoid late nights, like manually invoicing will be welcomed. Hope to talk to you all later.
Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 03:27:58 AM »

Welcome to our happy family! I think TimeNet is just what the doctor ordered. Wink
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:33:37 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 06:42:00 AM »

I think TimeNet is just what the doctor ordered.

Buy two licenses and see Perry in the morning

Wink

Grant Simmons
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
Simmonet Marketing

Erika
AppleSource Buddy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 06:51:06 AM »

Doctor Perry to the rescue once again! LOL

Smiley Erika
thatpatti
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 10:33:13 PM »

I recently started my own business as a portrait and event photographer, and last week, I bought a Mac.  I had a Mac Classic waaaaay back in high school but have used Windows machines since about 94.  My Windows-programmer husband actually made the suggestion, so I ran out the next day and bought a 20" widescreen iMac and am totally in love.

Anyway, I had been looking at software to keep track of my clients, projects, billing, invoicing, expenses, etc. but was having trouble finding anything that looked like it would suit my needs (and my budget).  Somehow, I ran accross TimeNet, and paid for it just minutes after I downloaded it.  I love it!

Most of my work is flat-fee based, but I've been wanting to determine how much time my projects are taking in order to see if I'm charging appropriately and now I can do that! 

Anyway, this software is great, and I've been putting the word out about it.  Hopefully I'll send some more users your way!
Simmonet
AppleSource Buddy

Like a well-aged wine

simmonet@mac.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005, 12:28:56 AM »

Welcome to TimeNet and welcome to the Mac!

Grant Simmons
Tel    818.788.0011
Fax    818.788.0311
Simmonet Marketing

Perry
AppleSource CEO
Administrator
Forum Guru

AppleSource CEO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005, 01:40:25 AM »

Patti,

Thank you so much for your kind words and your recommendation to TimeNet. I'm so glad you got your iMac, I know you're going to just fall in love with it all over again every single day. And I'm very glad you found TimeNet too! I truly hope you enjoy using it, and your great new iMac, and if you have any questions about either, don't hesitate to give me a buzz.

Happy Turkey Day everyone! Cheesy

Perry Fjellman
AppleSource Software
rossasaurus
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 5

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »

I trialled a couple other Apps.
i remember one I bananaed-around with for close to two hours and still couldn't format and output an invoice, pitiful, I was ready to cry.
I tried TimeNet and I had a completed invoice in five friggin' minutes! That's what sold me right then and there. I bought it that night, whereas I usually run the course of the trial before ponying-up the cash.
You take advantage of the Mac interface and use a logical workflow, and it shows.

I do Mac consultifying, as W might say, mostly small businesses, some home users, and I also work some contracts in the Electronics industry and I use TN for both of my ventures. Many of my clients use Quickbooks, so not a lot of interest in TN on their part, but it works for my needs.

I look forward to updates and improvements.

Ross
RichardBerg
Small Fry

Karmic Presence: 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »

Hai,

These were a lot of fun to read. Like a lot of you guys, I had tried other billing programs desperately and just was not impressed. Too many bugs, not enough features, too many features, way too complicated. It was just a dream when I found TimeNet. We're all a bit quirky in our own way. It adds to the diversity and fun of this family.This is so benefit for our concern.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: